This course covers the essential elements of food safety to enable you to safely prepare and handle food and to support people with their nutrition and hydration needs.
Course attendees will be given a certificate of attendance. There is a multiple choice assessment at the end of the course which will be marked and given to participants to discuss with their manager upon return to work. The Workforce Development Team will contact the managers of participants who do not pass the assessment.
By the end of this course, you wil be able to:
• explain the importance of hygiene in premises, use of equipment and pest control
• explain how to prevent contamination
• explain cleaning regimes and state the purpose and effect of disinfection
• use the eatwell model in menu planning and advising individuals
• work with food and nutrition requirements of a person’s care plan
• explain the use of the Malnutrition Screening Tool
As good practice all support staff supporting people with food and nutrition needs should be appropriately trained. This course is suitable for the majority of front line support staff who handle food in the workplace. It will help staff who are working towards the Care Certificate.
There is an alternative accredited Food Safety Level 2 course for the minority of staff whose main role is working in the kitchen and / or have the a lead responsibility for overseeing kitchen safety within their place of work.