Introduction to Apprenticeships - Bite-Size sessions (for Managers)
Apprenticeships are work-based training programmes for all ages that provide opportunities for existing staff to acquire new skills, knowledge and behaviours in their existing roles or enable new apprentices to be recruited in the council.
The Government has implemented a number of reforms; to increase quality and quantity of apprenticeships. The reforms include new employer driven Apprenticeship Standards, Public Sector Targets and an Apprenticeship Levy.
This bite-size session will be an opportunity for managers to;
- meet the Apprenticeship Team,
- explore opportunities and issues,
- ask questions and gain a better understanding of new apprenticeship landscape
- understand the 20% off job training gudance
- understand your role in supporting the apprenticeship strategy
- cover some of The Education Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) rules that the council are governed by
- support you in your journey in recruiting an apprentice or supporting existing staff.
By the end of this course you will:
- have explored key changes to apprenticeships following reforms
- understand the your role in managing an apprentice
- gained the knowledge on the processes involved in starting an apprenticeship
- understand key funding rules and how you can successfully support the 20% off-the job learning
- be prepared for the requirements of End-Point Assessments (EPA)
Following Government reforms to apprenticeships Brighton & Hove City Council’s Apprenticeship programme has expanded with over 130 apprentices currently working towards new qualifications.
During the session we will provide examples of how apprenticeships can work and make a positive contribution to service delivery.
‘Apprentices bring as much learning into the team as they do themselves; they bring a fresh approach, new ideas and thoughts about how things are, can and should be done – we have learned as much from our apprentices as we have taught them’
Emma Sheridan –Business Development Manager
'Through the Apprenticeship Scheme we have strong examples of motivated, committed and well-rounded staff members who form an important strand of our succession planning and play an important role in keeping our workforce fresh'
Karen Guthrie - Service Transition Manager
My Apprenticeship helped me to speak confidently and knowledgably about by job and supported me in applying for a permanent role.
Hayley Nowicki -Apprentice Administrative Assistant