Relationships & Sexuality - For People with a Learning Disability (Zoom)
This course is aimed at all children & young people and adult services staff who work with people who have a learning disability.
This training aims to clarify, inform and discuss personal, professional & workplace responses around Relationships & Sex Education (RSE) for People with a Learning Disability (PWLD). Focussing on increasing staff skills and knowledge in this area we aim to explore approaches to common issues within this field. This course will build staff’s confidence and competence in addressing and responding to issues arising in a practical way, covering topics such as:
· Physical changes
· Sexual health & sexuality
· Role of a parent & carers
· Positive relationships & boundaries
· Bodily autonomy, consent & protection from harm
· Public & private behaviours
· Appropriate touching and masturbation
· Managing emotions
· Issues relating to pornography and online safety
Within the course, legal frameworks that are relevant to this work such as the Mental Capacity Act, Safeguarding, Consent and recent case law will be considered in how they shape our practice and rights of PWLD. We will also look at resources that staff & practitioners can use to follow up this work in their workplace.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- examine attitudes and values to Relationships & Sex Education & People With a Learning Disability within society, ourselves and workplaces
- increase confidence to talk about and acknowledge RSE with service users
- gain knowledge of the law and policies in relation to RSE & PWLD
- explore good practice, skills and resources around issues you may face in the workplace and home
- enhance awareness and confidence of your role and responsibility in this context
Depending on your IT set up, you may find it easier to forward the Zoom link to your personal device.
How to access Zoom:
1. click on the Zoom meeting link and ‘Launch the meeting’
2. click on ‘Open file’ icon in the bottom left hand side of your screen
3. click on ‘Join meeting’
For the best experience, please log in early to ensure the audio and visual settings are working on your device, prior to the start of the course, as it can sometimes take a while for Zoom to load.