Working in a Political Environment
As staff working in local government this is your chance to develop your understanding of the political nature of local government and increase your understanding of the role and aims of elected councillors; how they work, who they are, what their relationship is to the running of the Council and delivery of services.
The course is your chance to ask questions, explore issues and gain a better understanding of the relationships with and between councillors and officers. It’s an open door to explore what you want to know.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- understand the different roles of councillors and officers
- be more politically aware and aware of who our councillors are
- understand the Local Authority decision making process
- understand the role of other organisations and communities and how they influence decision making in local government
- be able to work more effectively with councillors and other stakeholders
- improve your understanding of the employee and councillor codes of conduct
This is a virtual session that will take place on Microsoft Teams.
We do not assume that everyone has used Teams before and your experience at this session will differ depending on the device you’re using:
Windows 10 users - you shouldn't experience any difficulties, but it's worth testing you mic and camera out with a colleague before the training,
Windows 7 users - you can use Teams on the web using the Chrome web browser on your laptop. Go to https://office.com/ and log in with your usual council login details. As a Windows 7 user you may not have all of the Teams features available to you. We apologise for this in advance and hope it doesn't affect your experience too much.
Please do not use Citrix to access this briefing due to mic and camera issues.