Safer Caring For New Foster Carers (Microsoft Teams)
This workshop aims to help new Foster Carers keep themselves and their foster children as safe as possible. It is aimed at carers approved within the last two years and who are undertaking the course for the first time or applicants coming towards the end of their assessment.
There is a separate refresher course for experienced carers.
This course will cover the following:
Introduction to safer caring
• what makes children and adults feel safe or unsafe?
• what is safer caring?
• Fostering regulations and standards
Risky situations and behaviour
• the hidden side of safer caring
• signs and symptoms of risky situations
• assess and manage risks
Safer caring policy
• what is a safer caring family plan?
• how to draw up and regularly revise a safer caring family plan
• develop strategies for managing risk
Communication and support
• discussion and decision making to manage risk
• records to help keep everyone safer
The training will be participative, with practical examples and exercises to help everyone relate the learning to their fostering.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- gain a better understanding of the meaning of safer care within a fostering setting
- discuss the reasons for, and importance of, safer caring guidelines and procedures
- recognise risky situations and consider strategies for managing these
- reinforce the practice of creating and updating family safer caring plan
- acquire methods in collaboration with Brighton & Hove City Council staff in mitigating or managing risk
You will receive an email with the link for the session nearer the time. Please note that we will need to share your email address with the trainer so that they can send you a link.
If you have Microsoft Teams:
Open Outlook calendar meeting & click ‘Join’
Select your device camera, and microphone settings and click ‘Join’
Wait for the meeting organiser to let you in.
If you DON’T have Microsoft Teams:
Open your Outlook calendar meeting invite
Click on the ‘Join Microsoft Teams Meeting’ link
You will see ‘Download the Windows app’ or ‘Join on the web instead’
Please click on ‘Join on the web instead’
This information is helpful if you are new to using Teams.