This course is aimed at staff involved in the manual handling of adults, including the use of hoists and other support equipment, who have completed the Safer People Handling Basic Awareness training course or a Safer People Handling refresher course within the last 12 months. Important Eligibility Applies - if you last completed training outside of the last 12 month period (30 days beyond this, absolute maximum is acceptable) or you have not completed training in this area before please do not book onto this refresher event, you must complete the bascic awareness event.
It is a National/local directive that staff refresh and update their knowledge and skills regularly. This half-day course will update staff on the possible injuries to themselves and enable them to carry out transfer operations safely.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
• define what is meant by safer people handling & explain the assessment criteria
• describe the anatomy, physiology and mechanics of the back and use safe hoisting and moving techniques
• discuss the importance of reporting in relation to manual handling
• identify the variety of manual handling equipment and know how to use it
• define Handling the Future, demonstrate and practice single carer handling techniques and equipment
• identify some of the potential barriers to safer people handling that may exist
• list a number of employer and employee responsibilities (both legal and ethical) that combine to enhance safer people handling practice
Participants must ensure they wear appropriate clothing and flat, comfortable footwear that covers the whole of the foot as you will be actively participating in safer people handling techniques. Open toed shoes and sandals are not acceptable and you maybe turned away due to health and safety reasons which will then incur a charge.
Please be aware that if you are unable to participate in the practical session you will only receive a certificate of attendance, not a full certificate which assesses your competency and you will have to attend a refresher session at a later date when you are fit and well to have your competency assessed.
To be able to attend this course participants must have completed the Safer People Handling Basic Awareness training course or a Safer People Handling refresher course within the last 12 months.