Dementia - Basic Awareness
This one day course is an introductory course ideal for people who have not attended any training on dementia. The course looks at the medical and social models of dementia and considers the attitudes and behaviours that can contribute to a person centred, strengths-based approach to supporting people with dementia.
The course is informed by Skills for Care Standards and is also mapped to the Dementia Core Skills, Education and Training Framework.
This course is for Adult Social Care Providers / Assessment Services (BHCC) / Care Homes / Care Managers / Carers / Health / Home Care Providers / Housing Services / Learning Disability Services / Mental Health Services / Occupational Therapists / Social Workers
Wednesday 23 November 2022
Wednesday 23 November 2022
By the end of the course participants will be able to:
- describe what dementia is, its main types and prevalence in the UK population
- describe how dementia can impact on communication and well-being
- identify individual strengths and challenges and ways to overcome barriers and support wellbeing
- understand how to communicate effectively and compassionately with individuals who have dementia
- reflect on behaviours that may be perceived as challenging and understand the possible underlying needs and neurological explanations
- explain the importance of the person centred approach in working well with people with dementia and their families
- signpost people to dementia services across health and social care in the city
Adult Social Care Providers / Assessment Services (BHCC) / Care Homes / Care Managers / Carers / Health / Home Care Providers / Housing Services / Learning Disability Services / Mental Health Services / Occupational Therapists / Social Workers
Please ensure you have a device for your own use that can use zoom and that you can have your camera and microphone on during the session.
Please arrive at least 10 minutes early to allow time to resolve any technical issues
Tips for using Zoom
If you are not familiar with Zoom, please take a look and maybe try it out beforehand at
There are some clear and concise instructions about getting started and how to join a Zoom meeting, along with short video tutorials - just click "support" on the home page.
A few key points;
1. You will not incur any charges for accessing the training via Zoom
2. You do not need to download Zoom if you are accessing the training via a pc or laptop.
3. If you plan to use your 'phone to access the training you will need to download the Zoom app from the Zoom website.
4. We recommend you use a laptop, pc or device with a larger screen than a 'phone if possible
5. Please check your device's audio and video is enabled and make sure it's working beforehand. You will find information about how to do this on Zoom.
6. If you decide to set up a basic Zoom account to access the training you will not be charged
7. In terms of security, you may need to use the password to join the meeting and you will be held in a waiting room until the trainer lets you in. Zoom is also encrypted.
Zoom, online learning session