This workshop aims to help new Foster Carers keep themselves and their foster children as safe as possible. It is aimed at carers approved within the last two years and who are undertaking the course for the first time or applicants coming towards the end of their assessment.
There is a separate refresher course for experienced carers.
This course will cover the following:
Introduction to safer caring
• what makes children and adults feel safe or unsafe?
• what is safer caring?
• Fostering regulations and standards
Risky situations and behaviour
• the hidden side of safer caring
• signs and symptoms of risky situations
• assess and manage risks
Safer caring policy
• what is a safer caring family plan?
• how to draw up and regularly revise a safer caring family plan
• develop strategies for managing risk
Communication and support
• discussion and decision making to manage risk
• records to help keep everyone safer
The training will be participative, with practical examples and exercises to help everyone relate the learning to their fostering.
By the end of this course, you will be able to: